Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
menopause/hot flashes
Anon_228170 posted:
I am 51 and have not had a peroid for 13 months. My question is when
do the hot flashes end????? I have been going through the change
all natural. I have flashes at least 15 times a day and they are so bad
that the swet just pours, like I just got out of the pool and didn't dry off.
HELP me please.

17irishgirl responded:
Wow! Same with me! I have been period free since May of last year. I had the thermal ablation done and it was the best thing I ever did. The hot flashes stopped for nearly a year. Now, they are back....and HORRIBLE. I must have hot flashes 10x a day and then continues into the night. And get NO sleep and am afraid to go out because it happens so often. If anybody has any ideas of something natural to take that will help, let me know. I'm on blood pressure, cholesterol and thyroid medicine..and it seems a lot of the natural drugs interfere with that. Help!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to 17irishgirl's response:
Dear 17 Irishgirl,
My usual recommendation for non prescription remedies for hot flashes are black cohosh (something like Remifemin); and soy-ideally in the form of soy foods, but soy or isoflavone supplements will be a reasonable alternative (my patients recently have been telling me of reasonable responses to an isoflavone supplement called ICool.) I hope these help; if they don't, do speak with your health care provider about medical alternatives, too-we have both hormonal and non hormonal options. And of course, avoiding hot flash triggers and getting lots of exercise also should help.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

thegirtle replied to 17irishgirl's response:
saw a piece on tv that sage leaf herbal tea is good for hot flashes, haven't tried it myself yet as my hot flashes have stopped for now but hope it helps you!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website