Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Does perimenopause mimic pregnancy?
shelley748 posted:
Hi to all

I have been lurking in the sidelines for a few days now reading all of your posts.

I am 51, 52 in November, have had irregular periods last 2 years. I have tried to make a note in my diary each month so I have a more accurate record of the dates.

I am a little concerned because my hubby and I had a snuggle last week and I let him inside of me, he did not ejaculate and was there for a few minutes.

My boobs are sore ( I did have this back in May when I was about to have a mammogram and had a period in June), and my period has not come yet. I have noticed that I had put a few pounds on top of thighs and tummy area-usually when I have my period due I crave sugary things, but this time its not as prevalent.

I was expecting my period 3-5 days ago if we are looking at normal cycle, so today I decided to get a pregnancy test and do it- it showed negative.

Should I be worried? Thanks in anticipation of your reply!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Howdy Shelley748 and welcome!

Here's some information about Perimenopause that may help. Home pregnancy tests are 97% accurate if the directions are followed. However, you indicate you had a "snuggle" last week. You need to retest when it's two weeks after the unprotected episode to be sure.

I've noticed many women post here about sore breasts and weight gain. You may want to follow up with your doctor, who could also do a blood pregnancy test.

Keep us updated,

Byroney

shelley748 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Byroney

I was reading that there have been other ladies who did HPT twice and also a blood test and still did not show as being pregnant, is this usual?

I am worried because I had breast cancer back in 2000 and was told not to have any kids, so if I am for any reason pregnant its not looking too good!

I have never had kids so what are my chances of being pregnant? Iintend to do another HPT labor day week tobe sure.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to shelley748's response:
Shelley,

With urine pregnancy tests 97% or more accurate (depending upon brand) and blood tests 99% accurate, it would be very unusual to have a false negative if the woman is at least a month pregnant. Pregnancy tests these days can sometimes have an accurate positive as early as 9-10 days pregnant--that's even before a missed period!

Because of your past history and concerns, you can always discuss doing an ultrasound to be absolutely sure you're not pregnant. Your idea to repeat the test sounds like a good one.

Enjoy the weekend,

Byroney

I think my AF came today- at least I have the cramps and the flow, so looks like all is ok.......thanks for your support...

I will do the HPT again next week just to make sure once my period is gone =just to make sure its nothing more....

50yrold replied to shelley748's response:
shelley748,
Thank you for posting. I've been reading like a mad woman for someone with a similar situation as I except I haven't had breast cancer.

I hope these dear doctors can answer me asap - I'm so scared.

My husband and I had a similar "snuggle" October 2nd and my period kicked in the same day. It only lasted about four days and was light.

I've always been like clockwork with my periods - they would always start a few days earlier each month which I assume is the normal cycle. Two years ago, I did have two periods within a two week period October 2009 and have experienced the odd "night sweats" - last week as a matter of fact but thought it was because I was having a panic attack over possibly being pregnant.
My periods have seemed a bit lighter the past few months. I was expecting my period to start about the 30th or 31st of October but nothing.

Shortly before my period starts, I usually experience tender breasts and slight cramping, spotting but none of that happened (and still hasn't). I'm dry as a bone.

I took an e.p.t pregnancy test the morning of Nov. 4th and it came back negative but then I've read online that one could still be pregnant with a negative reading! I was thinking of taking the test again, tomorrow morning.

I have never been on any sort of medication, the odd Advil once in a while and antibiotics once over ten years ago. I was on birth control pills for a very short time when I was 32.

I had a child when I was 24, she is now 25. I don't think I've had any "pregnancy" symptoms though it's been so long ago, I don't remember what they are exactly. I just feel perfectly normal.

I turned 50 in October.

Please answer asap!

50yrold replied to 50yrold's response:
I took another HPT (e.p.t) this morning and it came out negative.
I still don't have my period. Should I take another HPT in a weeks time?
BTW, I my breasts haven't been sore at all, this past month or now.
I hope someone replies to this soon. I'm very worried (I don't have medical insurance and wouldn't even know where to go for a blood test).

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Shelley748,
Highly unlikely that you are pregnant-but not impossible-so we always encourage women to use contraception until they go a year without a period. The erratic cycles, intermittent breast discomfort, a few pounds-all quite common-but do use some contraception, just to be sure. I have personally delivered 3 47 year olds who thought they were going through menopause when their periods weren't showing up!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

shelley748 replied to 50yrold's response:
Hi there- sorry haven`t been on for a while- my period came- it was really heavy and lasted a week, but I haven`t had one since then ( I turn 52 tomorrow), and I have kept away from my husband LOL!

I am not any different- I think its just going through the change!! I was really scared though so I do understand how you feel.

You should be able to go to any hospital and get a blood test or at least they could tell you where to go to get one for free.

Wishing you luck:)

shelley748 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks Dr Minkin- I think the best way is to keep away from my husband who refuses to have the snip and cannot wear condoms!!!

I haven`t had a period since the massive flow afterwards which lasted a week, this was about 2 months ago and I am feeling fine.

50yrold replied to shelley748's response:
shelley748,

My period came too - very heavy, three weeks late. I guess this is the new "normal".

Wow, same situation as my husband - won't get snipped and can't wear condoms.

Thanks, very much for your reply!

shelley748 replied to 50yrold's response:
Good glad to hear this! Wow your husband sounds just like mine LOL!!!

I hope things work out for you, you can always email me at

lilliput721 at hot mail dot com

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website