Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
No, no, no, and no, is this menopause?
Anon_239158 posted:
I'm very confused. I know I should go to a clinic have a blood work done. But is always like that, I paid health insurance since I was 18 and I never needed, now, I got a new job and I don't have one yet.
I'm 48, I never had any kind of birth control or any medication. My period was always regular every 28 days 4:00 AM. It was never, ever late or ahead. Now, suddenly, It's been over a month and no period, no changes in my mood or body, no symptoms of thyroid, menopause, or pregnancy. Just in case, I even bought a pregnancy test, and as expected - Negative. No complains, a little worried because it's too good to be truth. Is it possible to enter in menopause without having any symptoms? Thank you so much for any information.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon_239158 and welcome!

Women who start perimenopause all do so uniquely. In fact, this article on Perimenopause , the two to eight year period before you're officially in menopause, says "Some notice few or no changes."

Hopefully, if this is the onset of menopause, you will continue to have no symptoms. However, you should try to see a doctor and get it confirmed.

Keep us updated,

Byroney

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Anon_239158,
Relax! That's my advice. Sounds like you are fine. Indeed, 20% of women have no hot flashes, and feel just great. As long as you are feeling well, do not worry-and keep on being healthy. I would still recommend that you use contraception until you go a year without a period-and I'd recommend that you make sure you are taking in 1200 mg of calcium a day, and 1000 units of vitamin D-and keep exercising-but that's all you need to do. And even if you had insurance right now, I wouldn't recommend doing any blood work at all.
Be well-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

64Rhoni replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Why not , I have been in peri- menopause for about 9 years and so far have not had any signs of a period yet, should I think about asking the Doctor for blood work yet?

blacklabmom responded:
I have had no period for almost 3 years. Other than that fact, I have no other symptoms. No hot flashes no big mood swings. I am not gaining weight due to a commitment to exercise and eating healthy. I am not losing weight which is my only complaint. Is this normal? I go to regular doctor appointments and they say that I am fine.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to blacklabmom's response:
Dear blacklabmom,
Weight issues are regular complaints of perimenopausal women. Typically, women going through menopause actually gain about 5-8 pounds; you are doing well not gaining anything. I'd encourage you to keep up your excellent nutrition and exercise.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

jtrobin replied to blacklabmom's response:
I too have been extremely regular...not as much as above but pretty regular and the only time I've missed a period was when I was pregnant. I've now gone 2 months w/o a period and no symptoms. (okay maybe a little grouchy but that's no different than usual) I'm 47.

My question is for those who have gone w/o for a longer period of time...did you miss then have one then go w/o again and the time frame between them just kept getting longer?

tb8162 responded:
It is "too good to be true". Usually it's not going to end just like that, cut & dry. I'm turning 50 this July, and my period disappeared for a few months last year but came back in full force in the spring. This January I had my period twice and have been spotting almost every day. I really wasn't expecting this. Ever since I had my period at 12 I've been a regular 28 dayer, then on the pill for most of my life. My mother, a woman ahead of her time, didn't have me until she was 44. I actually thiught real menopause didn't happen until you were like 60. I just thought it would be one way or the other. Apparently it just doesn't end with an on and off switch. Part of me is disturbed that "this is the end" in some ways, and the most rational part of me wants to know when I can stop taking the pill and not have to worry about getting pregnant anymore???

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to tb8162's response:
Dear tb8162,
Alas, you need to go a full year without a period to be termed fully menopausal; until that time, periods can come back, and you have to "reset" the clock-ie, wait another year of no periods to say you are done. And also alas, we advise women to use contraception until they go that full year without the period.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website