Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
one ovary, early menopause?
jps1964 posted:
I'm 47 and had one ovary removed about five years ago because of a complex cyst that turned out to be benign. Can having one ovary cause you to enter menopause sooner? I've heard and read mixed messages. I've been having hot flashes and erratic periods for about four years now, but no one in my family has entered menopause before age 50 and usually older. I'm on the Nuvaring to regulate my periods because they were taking over my life and depleting my iron. (I have a huge fibroid but it is not causing any problems now that my periods are lighter and more regular.) I've also read that an early menopause has been linked to a shorter life span. Not much I can do about it but just curious. I'm tired of being hormonal.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear jps1964,
Yes, it is possible that menopause may have been pushed up a bit earlier with the loss of the one ovary; but 47 is quite a normal time to be going through menopause. The Nuvaring is quite a good way to handle perimenopausal symptoms. Once you are totally menopausal, your fibroid does rate to shrink, so that's a good thing. Statistically, I wouldn't count 48 or so (by the time you are fully menopausal) as an "early menopause" as far as life expectancy-so stay healthy, and not to worry!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

jps1964 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks -- I have to do a lot of reading for my work and sometimes am not sure how to process it all. I hope this really is over in a year. But at least it is fairly managable. thx again jps

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website