Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
hotflashes at 65
marysue1210 posted:
I am 65 and having hotflashes. My Doctor says that at my age I really ddon't have hot flashes. I had a partial hyst. in 1981 and was placed on Premarin 0.9mg. When I had to change Drs. my new doctor would not give me the Premarin at this dose because she does not feel that it is safe and that I really need it. Do women my age have hot flashes or is it in my head. I am really having a problem with this most at night. Thank you for your time with my problem.

Mary

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Mary!

I just wanted to say "hello" and welcome. Dr. Minkin typically answers over the weekend, so she should be sharing her thoughts with you soon.

May I just say that if a doctor told me I wasn't experiencing something I was experiencing, I would consider looking for a new doctor.

Thank you for your patience,

Byroney

Paladin9 responded:
My mother had a full hysterectomy at age 47. She is not 81 and STILL has hot flashes. She says either they are not as strong or she has gotten used to them. She also refused HRT and has never taken anything for them.

I hate to say this but you are probably still having them.

marysue1210 replied to Paladin9's response:
Dear Paladin9, thank you for taking time to read my question and I am glad to know that they are people at my age who still have hot flashes. Believe me I was being to believe it was all in my head. Again, thank you for your time.

Mary

rhondadbe59 responded:
My mom was in her 90's and still had a small fan beside her bed in the nursing home. She had a hysterectomy when I was a few years old too.

Paladin9 replied to marysue1210's response:
No problem, we are all in this together. I'm just glad to have a place where I can get help and help others.

Pam

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Marysue,
Well, you've certainly heard from many women with similar problems. Alas, about 15% of women have really persistent hot flashes, so you are in good company. A couple of thoughts (and yes, I'd agree with Byroney, sound like you need to talk with another health care provider). I'd suggest that you might want to switch to a transdermal estrogen-they are associated with a lower risk of blood clots, and as the risk for blood clots increases as we get older, might be something to think about. I might suggest starting with a 0.05 patch-I'd bet it would take care of your hot flashes. And then, once you got comfortable, you could try very slowly tapering your dose-that rates to work a lot better than "cold turkeying." If you wanted to try something non hormonal, you could try something like black cohosh-a product like Remifemin does help many women. But you're not imagining anything, and we need to help you get comfortable!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_240983 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Minkin,
Thank you so much for taking time to read my question. I would like to try and stay with this Dr. because I don't want them to think I am a non complyent (miss spelled) patient.
I really do like this web site and I am going to be using. People here really seem to care about other people and not just the dollars they can make, I sometime feel like that is what I am to may Doctor, just a dollar sign for a bigger house or car. Thanks again I hope you have a great day.

Mary

someonewhocares3 replied to An_240983's response:
Thought I'd add my 2 cents. From your post, it sounds like you were started on .9mg Premarin shortly after your hysterectomy in 1981 which would lead me to believe that your ovaries stopped working. Did you know that an intact woman's ovaries produce some level of hormones her entire life? So it seems reasonable that you could take at least some estrogen for the rest of your life. And, since Premarin hasn't caused you any problems for 30 years, I wouldn't be too worried; you may just want to use a transdermal form at a lower dose.

I personally wouldn't worry about not being a compliant patient. Being a compliant patient has done more harm than good for me. We have to advocate for our own health. As you implied, the health care field has its share of greedy people like every other industry.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website