Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Estroven and progesterone creme?
foodgoddess posted:
I am 42 and in full blown perimenopause...the black kohash I was taking that I got at Whole Foods just wasn't enough.
Does anyone know if it's okay to take Estroven and Natural Woman Progesterone Creme together? My doctor told me about the creme and the Estroven seems more like a supplement than anything else since it has calcium and other vitamins...
If I don't get some sleep and some relief from these damn night sweats I'm going to kill myself and if I don't, my understanding boyfriend will! How do women go through this for years???

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear foodgoddess,
Estroven basically is black cohosh and a soy extract, and is fine to take. The other black cohosh product that works for some women is Remifemin. You can take the " Progesterone creams": the problem with most "progesterone creams" is that they really don't contain usable progesterone, and their potency deteriorates quickly over time.
So if these solutions work for your symptoms, that's great. But if they do not: please don't do anything drastic. Do talk with your health care provider. Your health care provider can provide you, presuming you are in good health, with transdermal bioidentical estrogens and micronized natural progesterone that will work, and take care of your night sweats-and with regulated bioidentical products.
Good luck, you will feel better,
Mary Jane

foodgoddess replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you Mary Jane...I feel like I'm in hell! I have been on the cream and the Estroven for almost a week now and I have to say that the night hot flashes have decreased a bit and are not as strong when they do come on...How do women do this for years??? My poor boyfriend is freezing at night because I have to have the window open...
I have been researching a lot lately and I am tempted to buy a supplement called Amberen..it seems to me that some work great for some women and some don't at all...which basically means that you could end up spending a fortune on natural supplements only to find that it doesn't work! Can't wait to see the doctor this Friday!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to foodgoddess's response:
Dear Foodgoddess,
Hope the doctor was helpful-alas, the data on Amberen really isn't terrific data-so I think that if you're feeling this poorly, you'd probably do better with some prescription remedies-and we do have bioidentical prescription meds available-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website