Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
menopause and hair loss
sydneymiller posted:
Can hormone replacement therapy help with hair loss (if caused by menopause)?

Rhondamay responded:
Sidney, I am not sure. I was on hrt while experiencing the hair loss. It may have been worse if I had not been on estrogen therapy, but I don't know that. All I do know is that the Rogaine stopped the hair loss and I am appreciative for that.

I hope this helps.

Rhonda

someonewhocares3 responded:
Hormone replacement helps some women but not all. I lost well over half my hair within 4 months after a hysterectomy and oophorectomy despite being on an estrogen patch. I'm 5 years post-op and it's still falling out. I've had periods where the shedding has lessened but it has never returned to normal shedding and is very thin now. I believe Rogaine was helping but didn't realize how much until I stopped using it and had a massive shed. Finasteride (generic for Propecia) may also be helpful.

someonewhocares3 replied to Rhondamay's response:
Rhonda - I know they say if you stop using Rogaine, you'll lose all the hair you gained. Have you continued to use it and how often do you apply it? Did it regrow your hair or just stop the shedding?

Rhondamay replied to someonewhocares3's response:
I have continued using it. I apply it once a week. I plan on using it from now on as it has stopped the hair loss and I don't want to be bald.

someonewhocares3 replied to Rhondamay's response:
Rhonda - Sorry for all the questions. Were you using Rogaine more frequently when you first started? (I know it says to use 2x daily - a.m. and p.m. which is part of the reason I quit using it - PIA.) How long have you been using it weekly? I may give it another try if finasteride doesn't work well. Thanks!

Rhondamay replied to someonewhocares3's response:
I never used it twice daily. I started using it once every other day for maybe a year. Then I dropped off to once a week and have continued that and it seems to be enough. My hair has never been thick and is very fine. It was scary when I saw it getting even thinner.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website