Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
42 and going crazy
Galey1969 posted:
Hello...i am 42 (my mother was finished with menopause by 46). For the last year I thought I was going crazy and had cancer then I discovered a perimenopause symptom sight and asked my mom when she went through menopause. She went through it at my age...
I have been to the hospital with anxiety, thinking I was having a heart attack, several colds/flu, depression.
My symptoms are as follows...
skin crawling
anxiety
extreme fatigue
achiness
night sweats
tired
palpitations
swollen glands sometimes
my first hot flash was this morning
terrible mood swings
brain fog

I have an iud (merina) so I dont know what my periods are doing really. I dont have insurance so im at a loss at what to do.
Today, I feel awful. I have felt like my brain is outside my body, shaky, fatigue, just over-all awful. Yesterday, all I wanted to do was lay around. I had no desire to do a thing.
Last year, I got a horrible cold that lasted for weeks. I went to primacare twice and the hospital once and got a full blood workup 3 times. Everything showed normal. Somedays, like today, I still think I have cancer. But my husband thinks im crazy and my blood work was fine. I am a fitness instructor so I exercise 6 days a week. Im so tired from teaching classes for 16 years...all I want to do is quit. Im just done.
Can someone just give me some advice or words of encouragement...im at my witts end. For about 2 weeks out of the month I feel like this, then the other two weeks I feel great. Is this normal?
Please help....

Galey1969 responded:
also I have horrible breakouts and dryness too.

lilhiz71 replied to Galey1969's response:
am so sorry you have to go thru this, i have all the same things and dr. bills are thru the roof! I have been going thru this for 4 years now..I had slot of good days inbetween and thought it was about over..but it has returned with a vengence! my husband told me to get over my self! really?? My anxiety has been so bad, I almost throw up daily just thinking about regular daily life..I wish someone would have warned me..I want my old self back again! This week I feel as though my throat is closing up and there is a large lump in there..never fails..always something "wrong".

Galey1969 replied to lilhiz71's response:
oh my gosh! I have a lump too. I have had it for a year now. It comes and goes. Same thing with me..."always something wrong" After my class today, I came home and have slept since 1 and feel like I could sleep all night. Yes, this is awful. I can't believe out of 3 times to the dr. not a single one mentioned perimenopause....???

heathlane responded:
I can relate. I'm 43 and feel the same way. 2 weeks of the month I feel ok then I just feel horrible. Have you tried an anti-depressant? This may help. I'm going to try to get a handle on my moods by using a low dose birth control pill. Hang in there, you're not the only one.

Galey1969 replied to heathlane's response:
Yes ive tried anti depressants but it just seems like thats something I dont need all the time and I dont like the side effects from them. I just got a couple estrogen patches from a friend that should get me through till I can get levels checked in January. Hopefully that will work.

lilhiz71 replied to Galey1969's response:
my doctors said i was too young when it all started. then i had hormones checked and was way low so im on hormones..butnow they do no good except with hot flashes. i too dont know about my ovulation because i dont have my uterous. ready to be done with it all!

someonewhocares3 replied to lilhiz71's response:
lilhiz71 - You didn't mention your age but the ovaries fail shortly after hysterectomy in about 40% of cases so it's possible this happened to you. When they continue functioning post-hysterectomy, a woman will go through natural menopause about 4.5 years before an intact woman. Doctors need to start keeping up with the medical studies!

If your HRT is only helping with hot flashes, it may be worth trying a different HRT or a higher dosage. Hope this helps!

SraOfe responded:
I am sorry to say that all these perimenopause symptoms are considered normal. I am 43 and have been going through this as well. I have had so many test done that I'm still paying the percentage my insurance didn't cover. LET ME TELL YOU THERE IS HOPE REALLY. I've been on Estroven Extra Strenght (natural supplement) for over 4 mths and it seems to help. They have other different supplements to help with energy / memory / mood. Someone also recommended I take evening primrose but I haven't tried it yet cause they capsules are so huge. Overall I'm feeling better except for the shortness of breath or weird feeling in the throat that's due to anxiety. In my research, I found another natural vitamin supplement that I want to try. It is called Nature's Sunshine Female Comfort. I will try it for a few months alone and see it its better than the Estroven that I'm using now but believe me you will get some relieve with the Estroven. It's totally worth trying it. The Estroven is sold anywhere but you can find it cheaper at Sam's or Costco. I have not experienced any side effects with the Estroven..... you should also visit their website for more info. I will come back in a few months and report on the Nature's Sunshine Female Comfort. So, Galey1969 hang in there...... we are here to help. I know how you feel.......

bootskty responded:
I started using Dr Lee progesterall about 6 months ago. It has helped with much of the symptoms you mentioned. I was 40 when I had my first hot flash! I have done great until the last few months. I spot a lot and this month have had 2 periods with spotting between, 7 days off and now I am bleeding again. Going to try and up the dose of progesterall and if that doesnt help then will try provera.
Hope this helps with the issues.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website