Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Birth Control Pills for Perimenopausal symptoms
heathlane posted:
Hello,

I'm 43 and suffered post-partum 3 times and I'm now suffering again in perimenopause. Hav gone back on the Paxil but it's not enough. The mood swings are unbearable and scary. I was told that a low dose birth control pill will help stabilize my moods? Anyone have any thoughts?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Healthlane,
As long as you are a good candidate for birth control pills (ie, not a smoker, and in good health) you might do well on birth control pills. The perimenopausal time frame is characterized by significant fluctuations in hormone levels, which can trigger some mood changes-birth control pills stabilize these levels. Indeed, premenstrual dysphoric disorder: PMDD, which is very bad PMS, is an indication for the use of the birth control pill Yaz; so that would probably be the first pill I would think of for you (PMDD is more commonly seen in women who have a history of post partum depression)
So do speak with your health care provider about these options; I do think they might help.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

heathlane replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Minkin we are going to try Alesse for the 1st month to see how it goes. I have my fingers crossed that this may be the best option for me. The mood swings are brutal.

marthabel responded:
Heathlane, I am new on this site, am 50 and going through perimenopause. I also had postpartum depression about 20 years ago, and roughed it out without any meds. When I began having perimenopausal symptoms, oddly enough I didn't connect them with hormones... thot it was stress and my busy lifestyle. Then when they became VERY intense, I thought, "you know, this feels like when I had PPD." I started looking at all my perimen symptoms and realized everything "fit." I am taking the generic of zoloft and it is helping, I believe. Years ago, I had some type of "hormonal crash" and my GYN had me try bc pills. They didn't help and I thot made me feel worse so she had me quit. I do not want to try anything hormonal at this time, unless its BHRT. My mother had breast cancer and suffered for 8 years because she was estrogen dominant. I feel am also estrogen dominant because of my symptoms. Anyway, the moods are scarey when they "hit" you sometimes out of nowhere. Hang in there... you are not alone. Most every woman I talk to says she feels like she is losing it or going crazy. We aren't... our hormones are just all over the place.

heathlane replied to marthabel's response:
Thank you..the birth control pills made me sick....I'm going to see a gyno to find out what I should do next. It's been very rough for me thanks for the support...Heather

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to heathlane's response:
Dear Heathlane,
Sounds like a good idea-some other type of hormonal intervention might be helpful,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website