Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
need to know
An_241889 posted:
Hi I am 43 years old and have had a partial hestorectomy when i was 26 yrs old I am wanting to know how I know I am going through menopause I get the mood swings bad and hot flashes alot Can someone please help me Thank You

rhondamay responded:
I assume by partial hysterectomy you have intact ovaries. I also had my uterus and cervix removed at about the same age as you did. I started with the hotflashes at 50 and then came thinning hair, mood swings, loss of libido, vaginal dryness, insomnia and general bitchiness. My husband was and is a saint to be so patient with me. I would guess you are perimenopausal if not in full menopause. The symptoms vary with individual women and few of them are much fun. I understand some women have few or no significant symptoms. I seemed to get them all. HRT helps greatly and since you and I are without our uteruses we can safely take estrogen without progesterone and get some relief.

Good luck,

Rhonda

someonewhocares3 responded:
Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you're going through menopause. Women who've had a hyst usually go through menopause about 4 years earlier than intact women. I believe an FSH test can be done to determine if you're in menopause.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website