Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Long and heavy period
sbabenco posted:
I am 53. Last year my doc took me off low dose birth control. I had regular normal periods until August 2011. Did not have a period for 2 months, then had a period in October that lasted 3 weeks and was heavy. Then no period for 3 weeks and on Dec. 12 another period which is still going, very heavy and clots. Is this normal? It is making me crazy.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear sbabenco,
Alas, this type of bleeding pattern is quite common in perimenopause-this is related to not ovulating on a regular basis-so little progesterone from your ovaries: the progesterone is the "policeman" of the lining of the uterus. If you were doing well with your birth control pills until last year, and are in good health, why not talk with your health care provider about going back on them? they would organize your bleeding. You didn't mention symptoms like hot flashes, but they would also help for those-I'd probably recommend staying on the pill for another year or so-and then go off, to see if you are fully menopausal-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

featherGS responded:
make sure you have a biopsy of your uterus, not just a pap smear to be checked out. I had extra long periods before and after entering menopause. My OB had me get a biopsy of the uterus and it turned out I had pre-cancer of the uterus. I had this situation with odd periods for about 7 years. I was never to take any hormones, especially estrogen. But I kept this condition at bay with women's vitamins with extra B-6 and a close watch by my gyn. IJ think taking birth control pills would be a mistake. At one time I had such heavy bleeding I had to have a DNC and then was put on a hormone pill for just one month. 15 years later, I still can never take any kind of hormones, biodentical or not, because of that predispostion. So my vaginal dryness cannot be helped except for natural means.

bevpoole responded:
You sound like you're telling my story. Went through heavy bleeding, use of birth control pills, endometrial biopsies, pregnancy tests (!!) and what turned out to be an unnecessary D&C....male doctor. My advice to you HAVE YOUR THYROID CHECKED!! That was behind all my problems. Mine was underactive. (Diagnosed by a female internist!) Heavy, irregular periods, weight gain, depression and edema dragged me down. Have been on Levoxyl for 24 years.
Thyroid problems often occur around the time of menopause.

Good luck...you are not crazy!!

sbabenco replied to bevpoole's response:
I to have hypothyroidism. Been on meds for 15 years. My Gyn had me get checked at 39 yrs because I was having menopause symtoms back then. I just had my check up with the endocrinologist and he pretty much said it is peri menopause. I will just have to deal with it. My period finally stopped at beginning of this month. Waiting to see whats next. L

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website