Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
No period after stopping birth control pills
An_242447 posted:
I am 52 years old and at my last annual exam, my doctor said it was time to get off the birth control pills, since there is a history of stroke in my family. She indicated that this could lead to menopause. I had my last period mid November and didn't take any birth control pills after that. I was expecting to still have a period. However, I have not had a period yet (6 weeks). Is this normal?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_24227,
This would be quite normal. The average age in the US at menopause is 51 1/2 years old, so it's quite reasonable to suppose you might be menopausal. If you'd like to get more information, you could get a blood test to measure your FSH and estradiol levels. If you are menopausal, the FSH should be high, and the estradiol low. Now even if they do show menopausal levels, you still could get a period within the year: so don't throw out every tampon in the house!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_244590 responded:
I am currently experiencing the exact same situation. Almost 52, stopped birth control, am now 2 weeks late for my period. Experiencing hot flashes (feverish feeling) and extreme bloating. What did you find out regarding your situation?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_244590's response:
Dear An_244590,
Sounds like you are becoming menopausal. Do check in with your health care provider regarding the bloated feeling; however, many menopausal women do complain about feeling bloated. Have you tried any over the counter remedies? Products like black cohosh (such as Remifemin) or soy, or isoflavones, which are sort of weak plant estrogens in soy (something like Icool) may help give you some relief from your hot flashes. if they don't do the trick for you, your health care provider can prescribe medications which will help.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website