Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopausal with no libido
2labsforme posted:
Hi all,
I'm a frequent user of various communities on WebMd so I'm hoping someone, and hopefully Dr. Minkin, can help and comment on my situation.
I'm a 47 year old female who is almost menopausal since I've not had a period for 9 months and have severe hot flashes and memory loss, no libido and mood swings. Recently diagnosed with Stage I hypertension (140-150/90) and have tried numerous medicines all causing severe side effects that cause me to end up stopping the meds (with dr. approval). I've tried Amberin, Remifenin and Black Cohash which have all caused bad side effects (headaches, itchy, bloating, gastric distress and weight gain) to help ease the symptoms and and am at my wits end of what to try next.
My main concern is the lack of libido-my poor husband is trying to cope but I'm not sure for how much longer
I'm looking for some herbs or supplments that I can take that won't interfere with my HBP-which seems to be a problem in intself since most supplements that help libido also raise HBP.
Any help, advise or comments would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear 2labsforme,
Hope I can help. One possibility would be a trial of a low dose of transdermal estrogen, either in the form of a low dose patch or a gel. Transdermal estrogens should not raise your blood pressure (they might even help lower it). They could also help with your libido. I would have you try a low dose estrogen without progestin for a couple of months, just to see if it made an impact on your symptoms. If you liked it, you could add some Prometrium, micronized natural progesterone, which also should not affect your blood pressure.
You could also think about testosterone cream-unfortunately, we don't have an FDA approved product for women in the US, but this is one product you can get through a compounding pharmacy-you could also use both a low dose of testosterone with the estrogen.
So I think either or both of these approaches could help you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

2labsforme replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
thanks so much for your reply. Is the transdermal estrogen and Prometrium condiered HRT? Will these cause my chances of developing cancer to increase? Do I need precriptions for either or the testosterone?

feistydiva responded:
Hello 2labsforme, am 49 years old, super healthy, had already hysterectomy and never had menopausal experience yet. Try pomegranate fruits, tea, and pill as your hormone replacement therapy. Also, since 1995, am taking this plant-based HRT, called Estrace, 1 mg a day. Check out my interview video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Fgywf-CN0
to give you an overall overview of how to relieve and delay your menopausal symptoms. )

Cheers! xoxoxo Let me know, if I can still be of assistance!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website