Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Irregular bleeding after partial hysterectomy
    autumnrain931 posted:
    I'm slap dab in the middle of menopause and have been going thru it for about 5 years now. Not fun at all to say the least. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2001 that brought on early menopause. My problems are just like everyone elses but the thing is, I'm starting to have vaginal bleeding and cramping in my pelvic area and it's really got me worried. The first time it happened was after sex. Now it just seems to happen whenever it wants to. Sometimes it is heavier than others. This really worries me because when I was 18 I was diagnosed with severe cell displaysia and when I was about 37 I finally the tip of my cervix removed and then in 2001 the partial hysterectomy because of severe bleeding problems. The bleeding now is not enough for me to have to wear a pad or anything and it doesn't last long. Maybe a day or less. It's just that it really scares me cause I just got on my husbands insurance and have yet to go to a doctor. I'm looking for a good one now. Any advice you guys could give would be so helpful and appreciated. Thank you!!!

    Take the Poll

    Has anyone else ever had this happen or is this something you are going
    • depression
    • stress
    View Poll Results
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear Autumnrain931,
    Yes, you do want to get to a gynecologist for an exam. There are two possible sources for your bleeding. It could be from the cervix that is remaining. Also, rarely when gynecologists do what is called a supracervical hysterectomy, a small part of the body of the uterus could have been left in, attached to the cervix; and you could be bleeding from that. But in either case, you need an exam and a pap smear; and if there isn't a good gynecologist that you know of, go to your primary care doc, who can at least do the pap smear and get you started in your evaluation, and (s)he can refer you to a good gyn.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
    Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website