High blood pressure spikes
2frustraded posted:
I had a hysterectomy more than 10 years ago. hot flashes followed. Now 11 years later I have been experiencing blood pressure spikes 154/100 this is after 10 min. of first spiking. I get severly red in the chest, neck and face. My arms and hands sometimes go numb. I very dizzy at times. After 30 minutes it is back to normal. This is not an everyday occurance. I don't have to be doing anything at all. For example I drove my husband and myself to town last Saturday and when we got to the shoe shop I went to the restroom and in the mirror I looked like I had been on the beach all day on the hottest day of the year. What could it be or what should I do???

someonewhocares3 responded:
So sorry you're dealing with this - how scary! Studies show that hysterectomy increases risk for high blood pressure and heart disease (3x when the ovaries are kept, 7x when they're removed). Yet, I don't know of any woman who was told this before her hyst! 1 in 3 women has a hyst by age 60 and 1 in 3 women dies of heart disease. Hmmm - I wonder if there's a link?!?

darlyn05 responded:
Having a hysterectomy does not relieve you of experiencing the effects of menopause or peri-menopause(same things in both, level or degree may change). Sounds like that is the issue but you really need to talk with your doctor.