Skip to content
sex drive
needtobeloved posted:
I'm 57 had complete hysterectomy in my early 30's. Been married for 39 years, 32 of those years my husband had been very ill. I'm tired all the time, have vaginal dryness, and just basically lost the desire for sex. I need help! Went to OBGYN two months ago for pain and vaginal discomfort, can't afford all the tests they want, so no prescription for the dryness. Just kinda sick of life right now. Any advice?
someonewhocares3 responded:
So sorry you're feeling this way! I can relate! I too had a hyst but at least I was older. Nonetheless, it's destroyed my health and sexuality! I aged overnight even though I'm on estrogen and I've started having back pain recently which makes me really anxious about future chronic pain. Do you have this too?

I don't understand why your doctor wants to run a bunch of tests. I assume you're not on any hormones. Since you had a complete hyst, it seems that you should be able to get an Rx for systemic estrogen or at least vaginal estrogen for the dryness without doing any tests. I would suggest going to your primary care doctor. They oftentimes Rx hormones. And there are some inexpensive ones available if cost is an issue. If your primary won't Rx hormones, it may be worth switching doctors. Since you don't have parts, I don't think you need an ob/gyn. If you get mammograms, your primary care doc can order those too.
rhondamay responded:
Someonewhocares3 is giving you good advice. I too had a hysterectomy in early thirties and I am your age and suffered the same symptoms. Estrogen is the answer. Vaginal estrogen will help with the dryness and reverse the thinning of the tissues. Your GP can give you the script.

I wouldn't waste time with herbal remedies, science has moved beyond that.

Good luck,


Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website