Skip to content
Skin Changes
kathrynleigh posted:
I am 41 & recently found out I was going through menopause. My skin hhas not only aged but completely dried out!! I can't even wear make up anymore!! I have tried Everything over the counter for my face & NOTHING works!! My face feels so tight & I have noticed (because it is so dry) deep wrinkles. It literally hurts!! PLEASE if anyone knows of anything that will help, please let me know. Thank you so much!!

darlyn05 responded:
Have you tried using moisturizing creams? I use one for daytime hrs and then an evening one. There are varieties for deep wrinkles and so on. If you are using a facewash of any kind it may be too harsh so you may want to use a less chemical based one. If you wash or rinse your skin often, water alone can dry out your skin. If you smoke cut back or quit. Same with alcohol use. The sun and outdoor elements also are drying(so is a tanning bed).

Just some ideas. Good luck!

someonewhocares3 responded:
My skin became very dry and aged overnight after an unnecessary hysterectomy. (I also lost over half my hair so along with the skin changes, I looked a lot older almost overnight.)

Have you tried any moisturizers with alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) such as glycolic acid or lactic acid? The acids exfoliate and along with a good moisturizing base, penetrate the skin well.

I haven't tried a lot of different products but one that works fairly well for me is Eucerin (I actually use the generic Equate brand). It contains AHA. It's somewhat greasy but so far has kept my skin hydrated better than others I've tried. That along with the fact that it contains AHA's which make your skin more sensitive to the sun makes it better for nighttime use. Amlactin is also a pretty good moisturizer. It contains 12% lactic acid but is a bit more expensive than Equate "Eucerin". Amlactin may not be stocked on the shelves. You may be kept behind the pharmacy counter or they may have to order it for you. I haven't tried any glycolic acid moisturizers yet but I have used a cleanser with it.

Hope you find something that works well for you!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website