Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
no period for 6 months
An_244587 posted:
I am 43 years old and my period hasn't happened in 6 months and before that it was six months. At the end of 2009 I noticed that my period was irregular. Sometimes I would get it every two weeks and I was worried about it because it happened for 3 months and than nothing. I used to get sore breasts every month and i get nothing. I am going to see my gynocologist to get a check up but I was worried about cervical or ovarian cancer because I am a worry wart. I'm so young so I didn' t think I should be going through menapaus. I had a recent blood test and my hormone levels were fine and didn't indicate that I was going through menapause. Can you offer anything other than the typical response... go see your doctor?

someonewhocares3 responded:
Thyroid, pituitary, or adrenal problems can sometimes cause menstrual cycle irregularities, thyroid being the more likely of the three. Then again, you could just be going through perimenopause which can start as long as 10 years prior to menopause. Did other women in your family start going through these changes early? That's oftentimes a good barometer. I don't think your symptoms are typical of cervical or ovarian cancer so there's probably no need to worry about that.

Hope you get some answers.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website