Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
abdominal pain 2 years after hysterectomy
An_243157 posted:
I am 47 yrs old. I had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago. I haven't had any real problems until now. I woke up with lower pain in both sides of my abdomen. It is a dull pain. When I walk I feel like the pain radiates from my back to the front. It is nothing sharp or on one side than the other. I thought at first it was gas pain. I sit here and searched this site and thought I would start a discussion. If by Monday it is still here I am going to call my GYne that did my surgery and make an appointment. I had a hard time walking this afternoon. I could hardly straighten up my stomach(pressure) was uncomfortable. I am not running any fevers. It is just very uncomfortable.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_243157,
I think it is a good idea to check in with your gynecologist. The pain could be related to some scar tissue which could have formed after the surgery; you could have developed some cysts on your ovaries, as you still have ovaries, and they will be doing their normal things.
However, the pain you are describing could be related to bowel activity; the intestines truly "hang around" exactly on top of the ovaries; so if the ovaries prove to be totally normal, your gyn will probably have you check in with your primary care or gastroenterologist doc (if you see one) to check on bowel behavior.
Hope you feel better soon,
Mary Jane

An_243157 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks. I had the necessary pretesting done prior to having the Hysterectomy. Upper and Lower GI, IVP. I developed a very bad UTI after leaving the hospital and had to be readmitted for 9 days . That was worse then having the Hysterectomy. I really thought it was just plain old gas pains. That is why I am waiting until Monday to see if it is any better. If not then I will call the GYNE Doctor. Trust me if it was real bad I wouldn't be on the internet. I would be at the ER. Thanks

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website