Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Perimenopause, OR NOT?
galpalgull posted:
I am going to be 52 in 5 months. Everyone that I know my age is either done with menopause or is already going through it. They tell me I am perimenopausal. I do not have any symptoms, such as night sweats or mood swings. The only thing that is bothering me are my periods. They seem to come more frequently, sometimes twice within the same month. And they are so heavy now, always with large blood clots.And my cycle lasts for at LEAST a week, if not longer. Everyone kids me that I am always on my period! Sometimes I think I might 'bleed out', (exaggeration, of course); but it has gotton to the point where I am praying to start menopause, just so that i won't have a period anymore! I thought that when you are going to start menopause, your periods stop? So why am I the opposite? Has anyone else experienced what I am going through? Is this normal?

Take the Poll

Am I going through perimenopause, or not?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Galpalgull,
This kind of bleeding can happen during menopause because the ovaries stop ovulating on a regular basis, and stop making good amounts of progesterone. Of course, your health care provider may have already done something like an ultrasound of your uterus, or biopsy, just to make sure there isn't any problem in the lining of the uterus (like a polyp or fibroid sticking into the uterine cavity) which could also give you this kind of bleeding. A few options might help: of course, birth control pills if you are a good candidate for them; insertion of a Mirena IUD, or something like a uterine ablation procedure. All of these certainly could be helpful. Have you spoken to your gyn about these options?
Good luck,
Mary Jane

galpalgull replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you, Mary Jane, for your reply.....I currently have no med insurance, therefore I do not have a gyn to see. So I'm just kind of wingin it! But I will read up on those options you mentioned...Thanks again...

violetcreams replied to galpalgull's response:
Just wondering how you are doing? I have a similar bleeding pattern to yours and I am almost 53. I have had periods ranging from 46 days between to only 14 and periods lasting from 5 days to 3 weeks but not heavy. Can't wait for the end as this is all new territory!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website