Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help, I'm losing my mind!!!
izzy2006 posted:
The worst for me...ALL OF IT!!! The anxiety, panic, dizziness, lightheadedness, shakiness, the floaty feeling when driving ( I thought I was the only one until reading some of these posts), I only drive to work and the store anymore because I'm afraid I'm going to pass out and possibly kill an innocent person. Been going thru this for 7 yrs now and still can't get a handle on it. I feel nauseous, gassy and bloated all the time with out of control burping & belching. Hot flashes that go on all day and night with the racing heart palps. I don't really sweat, but it feels like a pizza oven just kicked on. How can someone be so hot and so cold where you have goosebumps all at the same time???? My skin is crawly and clammy, I have electric shocks that go thru my body, tingling, unable to concentrate on anything. Just a few weeks ago, I started a new symptom, ringing in my ears. I've been in the ER many times over the past 7 years thinking there is something seriously wrong and all I ever hear is that I'm a healthy person and I should be glad they aren't finding anything wrong. Does anyone else have days where they just wish someone would shoot them? No one ever told me that it could be this bad.

darlyn05 responded:
It may feel like it at the time being. I think it may get some better as more time goes by. Changing your diet and exercise may help eliviate(sp) the degree of the 'symptoms'.

diannemc39090 responded:
You sound just like me!!! I know what you are going through..It is horrible..I find myself staying at home all the time!

ogleme responded:
I'm going pretty crazy, myself, Izzy, but I think you are actually suffering from Panic Disorder. Menopause doesn't help, but you shouldn't be so dysfunctional from that alone.
I had my first panic attack in 1994.
Back then, it wasn't easy to get a diagnosis. Finally, after years of trying to get better on my own, being misdiagnosed and self-medicating -- which turned me into an agoraphobic (I'm shuddering at those memories!) -- I found a psychiatrist who diagnosed my condition, put me on Paxil and referred me for cognitive therapy.
I believe to my core that you are suffering from Panic Disorder. It is highly treatable, but you need to do something about it now before you get to where you can't even go to your mailbox!
Please, don't suffer the way I did, Izzy, and see your doctor or a psychiatrist right away.
I've been perimenopausal since I was 38 and diagnosed. I am nearly 50, now, and haven't had a period in nearly five months. My menopause symptoms are textbook, and I'm miserable lately. Yours seem off book, to me. Every symptom you describe is textbook panic disorder, Izzy. I bet that's what it happening.
Gosh, I'm worried about you. Please get help. Let me know what happens.

darkannie responded:
I had a similar thing happen about a month ago. While I have had mild issues with anxiety and depression all my life, nothing prepared me for the onset of what everyone is descriing as a panic attack. I suddenly became weak, shaky, dizzy, extremely irritable (like screaming at people to shut up), unable to focus enough to talk, think, or listen (or do things like drive). It came on me like someone shooting me up with a drug--no warning, no lead-up, no stressors or obvious trigger. Sometimes hot/cold flashes would coincide, sometimes not (I generally have coldflashes more than hotflashes). I have a really good gynecologist who told me that this is not unheard of with the extreme hormonal fluctuations I'm having (I was also on thyroid meds at the time, which I've been able to drop, which has helped too). I tried Paxil, but had an allergic reaction. I'm having good luck with Xanax, which is just a take as-needed med. As little as 1/2 a tablet snaps me out of it and holds me for the day. The episodes are tapering off anyway. Days when I'm going to be home, I try to deal with it other ways--like getting up and going for a strenuous walk that gets my heart rate up and brings out a sweat. That helps a lot, and has also helped me lose some weight and get me off blood pressure meds. Since this is so obviously chemical I don't think talk therapy will help much, but I do plan to meet with a shrink to see if there is something I can take on a more long-term basis. But, this was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. I really thought I was having a stroke or something--a thought that doesn't really serve to quiet the panic! Good luck.

greenangel responded:
I agree with ogleme, I too think you are suffering from a variety of problems. I agree with the Panic Attacks. They have the same symptoms as heart attacks and other problems. The nausea, gassy, bloated feeling sounds like lactose intolerance. I have that problem. The burping and belching could be lactose intolerance or indigestion or some kind of stomach ailment. Do you overeat? It could be something that simple. My boyfriend is also lactose intolerant. When he overeats, he belches all night long to relieve the pressure on his stomach. Have you had an ultrasound of your gallbladder? I also think you might be premenopausal. I am. For 1 1/2 years my tongue got numb when I was tired. I thought I had a brain tumor or was going crazy, but when my chiropractor suggested Progesterone cream, the numbness went away! The hot flashes went away also! The problem now is that I have what's called "dermal fatigue" where the skin can't absorb any more cream, and the hot flashes are back. So now I'm researching ways to counteract the dermal fatigue. You might also have IBS. It can cause the bloated, gassy feeling. I agree that no one ever told us it would be this bad. We hear all about our periods in school, but no one ever prepares us for menopause. My core temp is so high most of the time that I'm sleeping on ice packs. But they don't last very long, so I lie awake until a fresh one starts to work. I liked your analogy of the pizza oven. It perfectly describes how I feel!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website