Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menstrual Cramps after Menopause
ridofcancer posted:
I have been feeling like I have menstruating cramps, but have been without periods for over 2 yrs after my chemo treatments. I am 54 years old. Is this normal?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear ridofcancer,
Sorry that you had to deal with cancer, but delighted you are now cured, which is great. Occasionally, ovaries can wake up, even a couple of years after chemo (it's unusual but can happen). The easiest way to tell if your ovaries are doing anything is to check a blood FSH test and estradiol test; if the FSH is low, they may indeed be waking up. However, the bowel can mimic menstrual cramps (some folks with diverticular problems can get these symptoms. ) So if indeed the ovaries aren't doing much, do check in with your primary care doc to look at the bowel.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ridofcancer replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for your answer to my question. It was Colon Cancer that I had, I will bring this to the attention of my Oncologist. Hopefully this has to do with just my ovaries. Sincerely, ridofcancer

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website