Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low libido-low sex drive
Mary Jane Minkin, MD posted:
This is a very common question, to which there is no answer: what is the cause of low sex drive? Is it menopause related or not?? The answer in women is extremely complex. Even the best respected author in this area, Canadian professor Dr. Rosemary Basson, has written that the best enhancer of libido for menopausal women is a new partner!! But that's obviously not a possible answer in most circumstances; but what it does emphasize is that sometimes novelty is a good thing; boredom is a bad thing; many relationships have been ongoing for many years, and that something new in the relationship might help. Most importantly, the couple needs to communicate to each other what each one of them might enjoy to spice things up.

Also, in menopause, many women experience vaginal dryness, making sex uncomfortable. And only an abnormal person would want to have sex if it hurt. So you have to have good vaginal moisture with sex. Some women do fine with a lubricant at the time of sex. Many do better with a long lasting moisturizer. There are over the counter moisturizers like Replens, which you insert vaginally two or three times a week. And if that doesn't supply sufficient vaginal moisture, vaginal estrogens, in the forms of vaginal tablets, creams, or rings are extremely safe and usable by almost all women quite safely. They have never been associated with any type of cancer risk, and can be used on an ongoing basis. You need a prescription for these; so speak with your health care provider.

Now let's say you are communicating great, and your vagina feels quite moist: but you could just care less. There may be some hormonal issues at play; no one knows just what. Theories included estrogen, testosterone and other hormones like DHEA. The major problem with testosterone, which is the most widely discussed, is that there is no current prescription form for women approved in the US by the FDA. But one can get testosterone from a compounding pharmacy, or using a tiny amount of the very concentrated form available for men. (Go to the website of the North American Menopause Society, menopause.org, for a longer discussion of testosterone). But you need to discuss this with your health care provider. There are also some over the counter remedies, like Zestra or Hot Plants for Her. You can go to their websites to read more about them, and again, do discuss this with your health care provider.
So there are options out there; but nothing replaces communication in a good relationship.

Good luck,
Mary Jane

Frustrated29061 responded:
I agree that communication is the key. My husband and I are going on 14 years of being married. He's frustrated because I'm not interested in having sex. I'm not interested in having sex because we can't have a conversation regardind seriouse issues without it turning into an argument. I can't discuss my feelings and it's taking the wind out of my sail. I feel so disconnected from him. When he comes home from work, he hangs out with his other wife, the television, all night and then think I'm going to be up to being intimate. I need my rest because I'm trying to lose and manage my weight, which means I have to rise early to work out. I'm just at a lost and feel we are going to need counseling to save this marriage. Men just don't get that being intimate goes way beyond just getting in the bed and going at it. Intimacy is shared in a conversation or doing things together and I care not to sit in front of the stupid tube for hours on end.

CindyStahl responded:
What if it's your husband that has low libido-low sex drive? He's going through depression related to our health & financial issues. At first he said it was because he was in too much physical pain, but now he says he's depressed. He refuses to seek help for his depression. I suggested relationship counseling but he's not interested. I told him I don't feel like we're a couple anymore, just friends. He emphatically said that we are a couple and I should not think otherwise. He told me that when things turn around in our lives he'll be interested in intimacies again, but couldn't say when that would ever be.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website