Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Depression after Hysterectomy
cajunqtntx posted:
Hello, I am 39 yrs old and just had a total hysterectomy back in March due to severe endometriosis... I have been taking antidepressants and they were working great until i started taking hormones a month ago... It takes all I have to get out of bed and make it to work... all I want to do is stay in bed and be antisocial... I stopped taking the hormones 3 days ago and I'm hoping this helps... I loved how the hormones stopped by hot flashes, but I rather hot flashes than this depression... Any one else have similar issues? Any suggestions for dealing with hot flashes that don't involve hormones?

Anon_6061 responded:
It's interesting that hormones seem to have worsened your depression. Estrogen "cured" my suicidal depression after hysterectomy. Doctors wanted to Rx anti-depressants but I refused since I didn't have depression (or anxiety) until after the hysterectomy. But I had to try different forms of estrogen before I found one that relieved the depression as well as other symptoms.

What I discovered through my experience and research is that estrogen is essential for brain function including mood, cognition and memory. So surgical menopause can cause mood related problems (depression, anxiety, mood swings) as well as changes in cognition and memory. My memory was awful after my surgery. The estrogen helped that too.

Time will tell if going off the estrogen (and staying on the same dosage of AD) will improve the estrogen-induced depression. I'm not aware of any drug interactions between AD's and estrogen that would explain the worsening depression. There are some AD's that are supposed to help with hot flashes. Here's a list - http://www.webmd.com/menopause/antidepressants-for-hot-flashes . So if you aren't on one of them, you could try switching and see if that relieves hot flashes while improving depression.

jazzmynn1234567890 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Anon, what estrogen are you taking? Did you have your ovaries out when you had your hysterectomy?
I took AD for years but they never helped me. I am having bad symptoms like hot/cold, depression, and others. I am on vivelle dot .05

sjb05151956 replied to jazzmynn1234567890's response:
Sadly my gyn removed "the works" - been trying to get my life back ever since. I've tried several forms of estrogen. I didn't like the V-Dot patch. Even with the highest dose, I was still really depressed. I'm using generic Estrace tablets now. You may just have to try another patch or some other form of estrogen. There are many options out there.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website