Skip to content
Weird feeling in my neck- Anxiety?
6juju9 posted:
My doctor tells me this weird feeling in my neck is anxiety/stress due to Menopause because more hormones are out of whack. I have had all kinds of tests and everything comes back normal. I do not feel anxious or stressed so this is very hard to believe. I started HRT and the hot flashes have stopped but NOT this neck-thing. And yes, my thyroid is fine too!!! Doc has given me Buspar- did not help- then Wellbutrin-no luck there and now I am trying Prozac. OMG!!!! My husband suggested I try to find a support group to see if there are other woman going through the same thing. I feel like I am losing my mind. Is there anyone out there dealing with this??

bpcookie responded:
Hello juju, is the weird feeling in your neck painful? Could you possibly tell me where in your neck your feeling it and perhaps a little more detail on how it feels, like is it numb, tingly, tight? It could be anything, it may not even be menopause related.

peace and love to you

Cookie

Okiehealth responded:
Yes please explain what the "weird feeling feels like." I had crawly tingly feelings, still do from time to time and sometimes not in the same places. Sometimes my face will tingle, my upper arms, sometimes the top of my head, my feet most of the time. I also have tests that show nothing.

The only thing I can offer, if it is menopause related that sometimes I go for a month or 2 or more with no "tingles" then suddenly it may start up and bother me again for awhile. I chalk it up to hormonal fluctations but stay on your toes, if it changes or gets worse, let the Dr. know.

Magnesium may help as it calms muscles and nerves. B complex is also a great nerve help.

6juju9 responded:
It is not painful. The day I ended up in the ER, the doc asked me to describe it and the best I could come up with was "heaviness" or "fullness". When I went to my regular doc for follow-up, he told me the ER doc diagnosed my ER visit as an anxiety attack. And, he told me the anxiety is because my hormones are all over the place. I am a person that has to be in control and now I am out of control and freaking out!!!!

bpcookie responded:
Oh juju, Im so sorry, I hate that out of control feeling also. I often suffer from anxiety and its a horrible feeling. Im also Bipolar so most of the time I am out of control of my emotions. hugs hun.

Cookie

azmom7 responded:
Yes, the back of my neck hurts a lot of the time. I would have gotten concerned but honestly there are so many symptoms of menopause that I never knew existed that now I just write everything off to menopause. I never really feel great but keep going drug free. Exercise helps me the most for sure...and even sugar makes me feel better. Unfortunately I've gained 10 pounds in a year!

veeljay responded:
OMG. I was searching the interent trying to find out what this wierd feeling is in my neck . I am getting very anxious and scared not knowing what this is. I came across your write up. How are you feeling now? Did you find out what the wierd feeling was you were having? I see this was a few years ago.

EvaServal replied to veeljay's response:
I was just searching the internet for "weird feeling in my neck". Oye. This peri-menopause is the pits! My tingling/annoying feeling is in the back of my neck and on my spine, between my shoulder blades and up to my cervical-1. I also feel really hyper. (I'm normally hyperactive type-A) So this is not beneficial. Yikes! Glad I found this...
I'm doing it all naturally so I guess, let the suffering continue...

ellendeaton replied to veeljay's response:
More than likely, it is a matter of iron deficiency. Blood is not gettting to the neck as it should. If you take iron, get off it for 12 days then have your blood tested. Have you doctor look into this possibility. But...if you don't take a small amount of iron every day in your vitamin regimen, then start taking a bit of iron. If the feeling goes away....well, need I say more?

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website