Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause Nighttime leg cramps
juls825 posted:
Hi !

Can anyone offer ideas on how to deal with night time leg cramps?
Its more like creepy crawly feelings that are SO uncomfortable. I am loosing so much sleep!!!

I have not had a period for well over a year so I consider myself done w menses. Fortunately I do not have some of the very awful symptoms of menopause, I do not have hot flashes, no night sweats.

I do have serious sleep problems, eyebrows sprouting on my chin, (funny but gross) aches and pains all over my body, a feeling of irregular heartbeat, irritability, anxiety, I can burst into emotions reading a greeting card, crashing fatigue, loss of concentration, loss of mental focus, itchy skin on hands and feet, especially at night, increased constipation, increasing belly fat and deflating breasts.

Gee, this menopause is lovely, isn't it? And why can't we call it womenopause??? Because we are turning into men?... or at least I feel like I am turning into a man!!

Any suggestions for relief? Thanks a bunch!
Juls

Anon_6061 responded:
I thought leg cramps (Charley Horse) were generally caused by low potassium but potassium is a mineral that generally shouldn't be supplemented without checking your blood level.

Of course, formication (the sensation of insects crawling on or under your skin) is different from cramps and can be a very annoying menopausal symptom. But some medications can also cause it. You didn't mention if you're on any medications.

I had a hysterectomy and when I was on an inadequate level of estrogen, I had a "pins and needles" sensation in my face which is supposedly related to formication. That (along with most of my other typical menopausal symptoms) improved with a higher level of estrogen.

juls825 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks for your comments!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website