Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Low back pain
jean622 posted:
I believe I am going through perimenopause. At the end of June/2012 my lower back pain was so bad I went to the emergency room. Not something I usually do but the pain was so bad I couldn't lift my legs to put pants on. They did a ct scan and couldn't find anything and said it was probably muscular. Other symptoms were sore, erect nipples. About 2 weeks before this my lower pelvic area was hurting immensely. My back began hurting really badly 3 days ago and I couldn't figure out what triggered it. My period came yesterday with a vengeance and the back ache has lessened. I did not have a period in June and in July just barely spotted for about a week. Reflecting on times of my back pain and my period or lack of I am starting to come to the conclusion that it is perimenopause although my doctor doesn't think so. She thinks it is a reaction to cholesterol lowering meds. I should probably go see my gyn. Both my gyn and general prac checked my hormones within the last 6 months and said everything was fine. I disagree.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Jean,
Pain is an unlikely symptom of perimenopause. Now things like fibroids and endometriosis can certainly be related to pelvic pain; but the pain itself would be unlikely to be related to hormonal changes. A pelvic ultrasound could be helpful in looking for fibroids.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Danealoo replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I am 51 and have had regular periods ( of course, the last 10 years have been mostly heavy). This month I have missed my period and now I am having extreme lower back pain. Massages don't help and muscle relaxers and pain meds don't get rid of the pain. I do have 3 fibroids. My primary card physician did Xrays and an MRI and it showed it was all muscular. It has now been 3 week and I can't hardly stand it. I meantioned to him about missing my period. Do you think I should seek more advice about it being my fibroids? Could they be causing me this debilitating pain? It is my lower lumbar and raydiates around my hip to my groin?

jean622 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Wouldn't the CT scan have shown fibroids?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to jean622's response:
Dear Jean622,
Yes, a CT scan would usually show fibroids if they are present,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website