Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Periods Lasting 2 weeks
violetcreams posted:
I'm 52. So far no periods missed, but cycle changed first from 35 to 30 days and then more recently from 21 days some months to 44 others.

My question is that when I go 44 days without bleeding, the period before often drags on for a couple of weeks but is very light. Then after the short gaps of 21 days I might only bleed for 4 days. This seems to be my pattern, but I wonder if the 14 day bleeding is what would be considered as normal or if it is a cause for concern as it is always followed by a longer gap?

Has anyone else had this sort of pattern?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Violetcreams,
Your pattern is actually quite typical in perimenopause. You stop ovulating well in perimenopause, and when you are not ovulating well, you aren't making as much progesterone, which is the policeman of the lining of the uterus, which regulates the bleeding. If this persists, and is annoying, do check in with your gynecologist, who will be able to give you some progesterone like medication which can get you regulated.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

violetcreams replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your very kind reply- it is appreciated so much. I just have one final question-

Given my pattern of bleeding that is happening now do you think the end is in sight, and how would you expect the periods to change going forward from here?

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website