Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopausal/Postmenopausal acne
acog58 posted:
I am 54 years old. My last period was three years ago next month. I was hoping when I reached this stage in life I would not have to worry about acne anymore, but I still regularly get quite a few breakouts - mostly on my chin, around my mouth and near my nose. I just a glycerin soap on my face and Lubriderm for moisturizing. What else can/should I be doing?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear acog58,
Do check in with your health care provider. There are other options for treating things, including some topical cleansers. If the acne gets worse, there could be some other hormonal actions in your body going on, unrelated to your menopause-so your health care provider can help figure those out,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website