Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Basal Body Temperature Question
An_246914 posted:
I will be 53 in one month. I skipped my first period in October 2010.It's been a bit of a roller coaster since.

I am charting my BBT in effort to have some clue as to what my body is doing. In the last year, I have only had 3 BBT spikes (ovulation) followed by a period. The last one was April 3, 2012.

My BBT chart is currently at cycle day 146, with no spike in temperature, my temperatures are bobbling just under 97 degrees. I also notice that I have very little cervical mucus. (sorry tmi)

In this very long cycle, I had several episodes of spotting but that stopped 2 weeks ago.

I have no hot flashes. I do have random episodes of dizziness and an occasional occular migraine.

How far into peri am I?
What can I expect as times goes on?
If I make it to 365 days without a temperature spike (Ovulation) can I stop using birth control ?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_246914,
You bring up many good issues. First of all, regarding the contraception: it would be very unlikely for you to get pregnant at this point, but the official recommendation would be to wait for one full year without a period to officially stop using contraception. I wouldn't bother too much with the basal body temperatures; they don't tell you all that much in this situation, including telling you when the ups and downs of hormonal production will stop-and alas, there really is no great predictor out there. What we can tell you is that different symptoms of hormonal fluctuations will get better over time, but we really cannot tell you when that will be: a few months to a few years.Sorry this situation is so frustrating.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_246914 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hello Dr. Minkin,
Here I am, 1 year later. I will be 54 in 1 month. I had 5 periods from Sept 2012, to Sept 2013.

My last period was January 8, 2013. I am still tracking my basal temperature, for the most part it has stayed low, or bobbled up and down a few times.

My symptoms have been, hot flashes, occasional cramping/bloating, not sleeping well. The worst of it is anxiety, mostly heatlh anxiety.

My main worry is getting pregnant, I find information on the internet about women 50, 55, 60 years old 'naturally' getting pregnant.

With changing conditions in lubrication, several times we've had condoms slip off, both from being too dry and being too wet. I am in a tizzy now because we had a condom slip off and 5 days later I am seeing a spike in my BBT.

This fear and the difficulty we are having is not good for my relationship.

I know we are to wait for the full year to go with out contraception, but how likely is it for me to become pregnant at this point?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_246914's response:
Dear An_246914,
Your chances of becoming pregnant are really quite low; yes, we do tell folks to use contraception for a year after their last periods, but at this point you are at minimal risk. Basal body temps really aren't terribly reliable, so i wouldn't worry about that now. So here's what I would do: in another week or so, your health care provider could authorize you to have a blood pregnancy test (or you could do a home pregnancy test if you didn't want to do the blood test)-and then you can rest assured you're not pregnant. Keep on using the condoms; and if one slips, in the future, you can do the morning after pill (Plan B is available over the counter at the pharmacy)-and it's quite reliable.
I hope you will feel better soon
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website