Includes Expert Content
Premenopause and Menopause Symptoms
Mswallyturnbuckle posted:
Hi I need to know is it normal to have a period stop for 3 months from May until the beggining of August 2012 me having
no menstral, and then all of a sudden it started on August 20th, and it looked like it was tapering off and there was a some brown spotting, and now here we are into September 3, and I had gotten my period again which it never really stopped from August 20th, and now I have it in full blast, and here I am me thinking it was over and it has never really stopped from August 20th, I am going to be 50 years of age this Feb and I am starting to get a little worried about this, is this all part of the Premenopausal, to Menopausal stages, should I be concernced and worried about this. I am also taking vitamins, I'm taking Centrum Silver 50+ because I heard while you are going through premenopause, or menopause, it is important that we take vitamins B,C,D,E and this vitamin has everything in it. I am very worried, and very scared. I hope someone can answer me and help me understand this better

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Mswallyturnbuckle,
This is a classic perimenopausal pattern, and alas, can continue like this for quite a while. As far as the vitamins, the most important thing to do is to get vitamin D, 1000 units a day, and calcium 1200 mg a day, into you-the other vitamins truly aren't that relevant to take as supplements. However, if this pattern continues, do check in with your health care provider, for reassurance that all is OK, and to come up with some strategies to help regulate things.
Good luck,
Mary Jane