Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause
An_247547 posted:
I had a complete hysterectomy at 45 yrs old. I was told by my doctor that my vagina is closing up and will cause painful intercourse. Is there any thing i can use for my vaginal beside estrogen cream I do not want to use this cream or take any any estrogen pills.

Anon_6061 responded:
Dr. Minkin has mentioned Replens on this group. It's a vaginal moisturizer that's supposed to last 3 days. I believe it only moisturizes as opposed to estrogen that heals atrophied tissues.

Whether or not to take estrogen is a personal decision. But a woman's ovaries produce some level of hormones decades past menopause. These hormones are essential to overall health.

I also had a complete hysterectomy and couldn't function on so many levels without estrogen. But then we're all different and sometimes it takes awhile for the hormone deficiency to show up as health and quality of life problems. When was your hysterectomy?

BebaPhilly replied to Anon_6061's response:
I had my hysterectomy at 45 yr. old . I am now 52 yrs old. I was looking for maybe an over the counter cream or if an prescription something without estrogen.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to BebaPhilly's response:
Dear BebaPhilly,
Yes, you certainly can use Replens vaginally; however, there is no significant risk to using vaginal estrogens, in cream, tablet, or ring form, if the Replens doesnt' work
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website