Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how do I know if it is menopause or something else?
hotandconfused posted:
Hi,I'm new here, and have a question,I am 47 and I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 32, I am now getting night sweats, and I walk thru the store to grocery shop and by the time I'm at the check out, I'm dripping water everywhere and my face is beet red, what is this?I've always been an angry person so wanting to "hurt others" is not new to me, but it's definitely worse, I am on Celexa and have been on anti-depressants for 15 years.I had gastric bypass,(i'm still overweight), 5 years ago, so weight gain is not a problem, I no longer care,lol, I just want to quit sweating from walking,its embarrassing and my emotions are all over the place, i'm isolated,I have 1 friend in another state,no family to talk to, I live in Henderson,NV and I dont know where to go to get help?Please help me, I can't stand this anymore.

Anon_6061 responded:
Sounds like menopause to me! Hysterectomy can cause an earlier and more severe menopause due to the loss of blood flow to the ovaries. I see that your use of anti-depressants started about the time of your hysterectomy. My hysterectomy triggered severe depression, anxiety, and irritability (everything became overwhelming and too much to handle) along with the many typical menopausal symptoms. I take estrogen and it's helped all my symptoms - no AD needed.

Tenshin replied to Anon_6061's response:
What if your wife doesn't want to take estrogen for fear of getting some form of cancer (she's been through a hysterectomy, ovarian cancer, irritable more often than not, and still has some side effects from the chemo treatments, and as she says definitely going through menopause)? She's a workaholic, very uncomfortable with intercourse, and as she says; "there is just no desire for being intimate or even being sexual in any way." Not planning to leave her, too much love for her... I'm in this with her and want to do anything I can to work on this with her!

Anon_6061 replied to Tenshin's response:
How thoughtful and caring of you to post! Your wife sure has been through a lot! Based on my experience, a hysterectomy alone is life altering. Studies have shown many increased risks of ovary removal (heart disease, osteoporosis, Parkinsonism, dementia, loss of cognition, depression, anxiety). Hormone replacement reduces some of those risks along with the typical menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, energy, etc).

The studies done on estrogen and breast cancer have been conflicting - some show a very slight increase, others a very slight decrease. Estrogen progestin (for protection of the uterus) has shown a slightly increased risk of BC. Estrogen use has been linked to a reduced risk of colon cancer. One study cites a 30% reduction. I'm not sure about estrogen use and other types of cancer but you can search PubMed for this information.

Also, I'm sure recurrence of ovarian cancer is a big concern. It doesn't appear that any large studies have been done to assess OC recurrence risk in women taking estrogen. This link http://www.webnponline.com/articles/article_details/use-of-hormone-therapy-following-ovarian-cancer-treatment-a-review/ summarizes results from some small studies. It concludes that "Surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatment for ovarian cancer induce postmenopausal symptoms that may be very uncomfortable. These symptoms decrease QoL for women dealing with a disease that typically carries a poor prognosis because of the late stage of diagnosis. A review of the literature indicates that HT for women with most forms of ovarian cancer can be safely used with proper surveillance.

I know some women who've had OC and take estrogen. Some doctors told them they shouldn't take it since they had OC and others recommended that they DO take it to reduce risk of other health problems as well as give them better quality of life.

If your wife doesn't want to take estrogen, some SSRI and SNRI anti-depressants are effective in reducing some of the symptoms of menopause including hot flashes.

Good for you for advocating for your wife. Best to both of you!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website