Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause
YoBello posted:
hello.
I'm 23 years old. I am trying to get more information on menopause. My mother is 49 will soon be 50, & i know for a fact that shes going through menopause. There has been a HUGE change in her moods & also gets random hot flashes. I really have no idea or any knowledge on this topic. It really hurts to see her go through this, & I just wanna try to make this easier for her. a bit about my mother.; She's a really healthy woman, she works out 4-5 days out of the week. She also eats healthy. Shes in good shape. Ive read some of the tips on here & seen that working out & eating healthy helps alot. are ther any other tips i should know? & also one question thats been bugging me. how long does menopause last? does it ever end? or is it something that we have to learn to live with?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear YoBello,
You are a lovely young woman, and thanks for caring about your mom. Participating on this website will give you some good info. Also do turn to the North American Menopause Society website, menopause.org, which has some excellent info on it, and also info on getting some of their basic literature on menopause. As far as over the counter remedies, soy can be helpful, in increasing soy foods. Black cohosh can offer some help to hot flashes, and to sleep if hot flashes are interrupting sleep.
But just having a lovely daughter who cares about her Mom will certainly help get her through this.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ariellejustine responded:
My mom is turning 50 on the 17th and it is the same for her She had had crazy mood swings for about 4 years now and I am trying so hard to be supportive but she is being extremely mean to my father which is killing me to see. I am glad to see that other people are dealing with this too, after seeing what my mom is going through I am terrified to enter menopause!!! Good luck girlie.

Anon_6061 replied to ariellejustine's response:
I was thrown into menopause by a hysterectomy and became a totally different person. I used to be easy going and always happy. I became very irritable and severely depressed and anxious not to mention all the typical menopausal symptoms in severe form! My feelings of love for my family members even changed. I missed my daughter''s entire high school years because I couldn't go anywhere or do anything with her. Going out in public made me anxious partly because I had aged overnight and dreaded being seen by anyone. I also lost interest in everything because nothing brought me joy. Since I don't have ovaries, I take estrogen which has helped to return some semblance of life but I still miss the old me.

Thanks to both of you for being supportive of your moms - they surely need it! Hopefully, as they get through this transition, they'll return to their old selves for the most part.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website