Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Medication Combination
WhatupWithLifeAfter50 posted:
I take a ton of supplements - Glucosamine for my creaking knees, Fish Oil, Vitaman E, Vitaman B, Calcium supplement w/ Vitaman D and a multi vitaman.

Prescribed meds - Synthroid for 20 years now. Anti-depressant for 20 years now (Effexor). Adderall for ADD for 6 years now. I don't take the adderall every day - only when I need to really focus on a task at hand do I take it. Lo Estrogen Vaginal Cream for about 1 month now. Amberen for about a week now.

My main complaint has been the weight issue - so hard to lose anything which is why I decided to try the Amberen. Now I am experience the insomnia more often and dizziness for the first time. Actually thought I had vertigo the other day it was so bad. Is the combination of meds I am taking causing some of my issues? Or, can you suggest which meds should be looked at with this combination?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear WhatupWith LifeAfter50,
Good question, hard to say. One question: have you had your thyroid levels tested recently? If not, I would check-levels can vary, and could affect your symptoms. Dizzyness is not a classic menopausal symptom, so I'd look to other explanations there.
As the weight issue: alas, women do tend to gain an average of 5-8 pounds as we go through menopause. Good news is that it tends to be one perimenopausal event-it's not an annual event once we go through menopause. But certainly keep up the exercise and good nutrition,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website