Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
AM I STILL IN PERIMENOPAUSE?
An_247630 posted:
I'M 56 YEARS OLD MY PERIOD NEVER STOPPED FOR 12 MONTHS.IT STOPPED FOR 7 MONTHS CAME BACK FOR 4 MONTHS,THEN STOPPED FOR 5 MONTHS AND CAME BACK AS SPOTTING EVERY 3 TO 6 WEEKS OR SOMETIMES LONGER.THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR ABOUT A YEAR.SOMETIMES I EVEN SPOT ONCE A WEEK.I'VE RECENTLY HAD A PAP SMEAR,SONOGRAM,SONOHYSTOGRAM, & ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSEY & THEY ALL CAME OUT NORMAL .COULD I STILL BE IN PERI MENOPAUSE??? DOCTOR,I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_247630,
Sounds like you've had a very appropriate evaluation, to rule out uterine pathology. It does sound like you are still perimenopausal; and I cannot put you into the Guinness book of records; I've had 60 year olds doing this (sorry!). Eventually you will stop; but it still may go on for a while. Other than the bleeding, are you having bothersome symptoms? because if you are, your gynecologist should be able to provide you some relief.-sounds like (s)he is quite thorough.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_247630 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
DOCTOR, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND.YOU ARE PROVIDING A VALUABLE SERVICE FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE NO ONE ELSE TO CONFIDE IN.MY OBGYN THOUGH COMPETENT IS IMPATIENT & HARD TO COMMUNICATE WITH. TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT OTHER SYMPTOMS,A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I HAD REALLY BAD NIGHT SWEATS!!! AS A RESULT OF SOME INTERNET RESEARCH I TOOK 40MG OF STANDARDIZED BLACK COHOSH A DAY FOR 3 MONTHS & THEY WENT AWAY & HAVE NOT COME BACK.I WAS AFRAID TO TAKE ANY KIND OF HORMONE REPLACEMENT DUE TO THE CANCER RISKS.IF I NEED TO TAKE THE BLACK COHOSH AGAIN IS IT SAFE & HOW LONG CAN I TAKE IT FOR?? THANX AGAIN FOR BEING THERE !!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_247630's response:
Dear An_247630,
Thanks for the kind words; and I do hope to be of help.
You can take the cohosh again, no problem. On the box of Remifemin you will note a statement about trying it for 6 months; it's not that there is a safety limit or time limit, it's just to see if you still need it anymore; so for folks who go off and find their symptoms back, they can return to the cohosh if necessary.
Good luck, hope you stay feeling fine,
Mary Jane

NO1METFAN replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
DOCTOR, I NEED YOUR ADVICE AGAIN. IN THE LAST MONTH MY STAINING HAS BEEN OCCURRING ALMOST DAILY & I'M BACK TO HAVING SOME MILD NIGHT SWEATS. AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED ,LAST SPRING I HAD A SONOGRAM,SONOHYSTOGRAM,ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY & A PAP SMEAR.ALL THESE TESTS CAME OUT NORMAL.AM I STILL OKAY?? IS THIS EVER GOING TO STOP?? PLEASE HELP ,I HAVE NO ONE ELSE TO TURN TO !!! THANK-YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

An_247630 replied to NO1METFAN's response:
DOCTOR ANS 247630 & NO1METFAN IS THE SAME PERSON. SORRY IF I CAUSED ANY CONFUSION. THANX AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP & FOR ALWAYS BEING THERE.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website