Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
uti's and menopause
Anon_125866 posted:
58 year old woman......third uti in 5 months......take cranberry supplements....drink water.....i cup of coffee a day...no soda...on anti biotic right now....and its taking forever to work....what.s up with that...more menopause complications?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Anon_1125866,
You are doing some good thinking. Indeed, as the vaginal tissue can get dry, so can the bladder tissue. Also as the vaginal tissue gets drier, some nastier bacteria can take up residence there (the good lactobacilli prefer tissue that's well estrogenized), and then annoy the bladder. So I would suggest speaking with your health care provider about a trial of vaginal estrogens; although you don't get any significant blood levels, because of the proximity of the bladder and urethra to the vagina, a bit will get absorbed into those tissues. Also, you will help get some more "good guy" bacteria into the vaginal flora.
So keep up all the good stuff you've been doing, and see if adding a bit of vaginal estrogen will help you
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website