Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can I get pregenant if I dont have periods anymore
beckate posted:
I am 32 years old, I have IDDM. Since having my daughter in 2003 I havent had a period but before that everything was regular. I stopped taking birth control in 2005 as I wanted to try for another baby but havent been able to conceive. What could be the possible cause and will it be possible for me to conceive before I get to much older. I could really use some help.

I have been told that my hormone levels are normal. when I had my daughter I had pre-eclampsia and had her via c-section.

I would really like to have another child but am concerned that it isnt going to be possible!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Beckate,
You raise some interesting questions. If your hormone levels are normal, there may be something going on with your uterus. But what you need is a good reproductive endocrinologist, to figure out why your periods aren't showing up, and fix it, and help you get pregnant. Just a couple of suggestions. Is your diabetes in excellent control? You really want to be in tight control when you conceive. Are you taking folic acid every day? You should be, just in case you do conceive (which always could happen). And if you don't know a reproductive endocrinologist, call your nearest medical school, and they will find you someone close by, to get you organized.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website