Skip to content
young menopause
rlr824 posted:
I am 26 and had my full hysterectomy when i was 24. I chose to opt out of the hrt treatmennt since i was already aware of how hormones effected my body prior to tbe surgery and also how the women in my family had bad reactions to the treatment. My response to the surgery, the symptoms, were a bit delayed and over this last year my mood swings have increasesed and the depression seems to set in fairly quickly and lasts fir days at a time. Sometimes I feel as if i am losing my mind. I have come back to school and I can deal with the hot flashes and even the naseau that i get but the mental tole this ks having onme isbecoming really hard to deal with and I dont know what else I can do, does anyoe have ny suggestions?

Take the Poll

how old were you when you went through menopause?
  • 20-30
  • 30-40
  • 40-50
  • 50-60
  • 60-70
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_6061 responded:
Sex (ovarian) hormones are needed by every cell in the body including the brain. So your symptoms make sense. I quickly became suicidally depressed after my hysterectomy and I'd never suffered from depression before. I also had anxiety, memory loss, cognition and concentration problems, and severe irritability along with many menopausal type symptoms.

Estrogen greatly improved all of my symptoms. I didn't even try anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, attention deficit, and sleep meds but instead went straight to estrogen, my new best friend!

Hopefully, it will also "protect" my bones and heart and other aspects of my health.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website