Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause and lack of sleep
kevin1000 posted:
Kinda looking for suggestions for my wife. Since the onset of menopause she has been having a hard time sleeping. She might sleep for a couple of hours and then be up for several hours before failing asleep just before the alarm.

Are there any specific drugs or other methods to help her sleep?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Kevin,
It's good to hear that you are concerned about your wife. First of all, does she have a health care provider that she feels comfortable with? That's crucial for her going through this time. If she wants to try over the counter approaches, you might encourage her to add some soy to her diet, and as far as products, she could try Icool (composed of the active ingredients from soy, so called weak plant estrogens) and black cohosh (the product Remifemin is a reasonable option.) They also make a product called Remifemin good night, which has some "sleep Herbs" in it, which might help her. If she is still having problems, encourage her to speak with her health care provider; there are many remedies, both hormonal and non hormonal, which could help her.
Good luck, and thanks for your concern for her,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website