Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vivelle Dot
keesakitty posted:
I went through surgical menopause 4 years ago. I couldn't take hormone replacement due to endometriosis. I started the dot 3 weeks ago. I also take 3 blood pressure meds and my blood pressure is now low normal. I started having these 4-6 hours episodes of low blood pressure ie. 75/50. Is this a side effect of the dot? I could find no information on this side effect.

Anon_6061 responded:
I know a number of women who developed high blood pressure after hysterectomy, which has been borne out in at least one study. In most of the cases I know of, their blood pressure returned to normal with estrogen replacement. Is there a pattern to these low BP episodes, such as right before and/or right after you change the patch (when your estrogen level would be at its lowest)? I'd be curious if your BP levels out as your body becomes settled on the patch if you don't mind posting back. Reducing or going off your BP meds would be a bonus!

keesakitty replied to Anon_6061's response:
The only pattern that I have noticed is that the low episodes occur in the afternoons. The patch is 2x a week and I change one in the morning and one in the evening during the week. I can't go off the meds or my blood pressure would be high again. I don't know if this is a rare side effect or if something else is causing it..

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website