Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mom is nuts please help!!
ariellejustine posted:
Hey guys, I am 22 and my mom is about to turn 50. We have always had a great relationship but the past few years have been rough, I know she is going through the change but it really seems to have affected her moods. To put it bluntly, she has been completely psycho. Mood swings that range from a pleasant mood to depressed and angry at the drop of a hat. She is very mean to my dad and sometimes even takes her aggression out on my little brother and I as well. I was just wondering if this change has anything to do with menopause, and if it does, will it stop? I worry about how far she is sinking into depression and it is bordering on verbal abuse with my father (she will scream at him for no reason). I do not live with them, I have my own place, but I do worry about my 13 year old brother being exposed to this. Thoughts please!

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry your mom has changed so much! I was thrown into menopause by a hysterectomy and became a totally different person. I used to be easy going and always happy. I became very irritable and severely depressed and anxious not to mention all the typical menopausal symptoms in severe form! My feelings of love for my family members even changed. I missed my youngest daughter''s entire high school years because I couldn't go anywhere or do anything with her. Going out in public made me anxious partly because I had aged overnight and dreaded being seen by anyone. I also lost interest in everything because nothing brought me joy. Thankfully, my husband was supportive and stuck around! I take estrogen which has helped to return some semblance of life but I still miss the old me.

Thanks for your concern and support of your mom! Hopefully, as she gets through this transition, she'll return to her old self for the most part. In the meantime, I hope she finds something to help even things out.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website