Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
No period & hot flashes
shandwilson posted:
I am 39 yo and my lmp was 7/26/12 my husband and I was very active during my fertile days in July and August. Not sure if I gained too much weight, pre menopause, stress or what. We want to have a baby and due to budget cuts it is difficult to get a doc appt. I've taken 3 urine pregnancy tests and they was negative. I feel tingling in my breasts but the hot flashes aren't normal. Please give me some insight

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Shandwilson,
A couple of suggestions; one of which will sound really crazy-if cost is a major issue, talk with the folks at Planned Parenthood; they are also into conception, not just contraception, and they may be able to help. Hopefully, if you're not pregnant, your period will come shortly. Are you on folic acid? A regular multivitamin is fine, or you can just take a folic acid tablet (anyone trying to conceive should be on some folic acid). so keep trying. But if you have been trying for over six months, ideally, you should try to check in with a gyn health care provider to start doing some testing to improve your chances of conception.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

shandwilson replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for responding. Yes I have been taking folic acid for the past 5 months my husband and I was very active in July after my June cycle and August after my July cycle during my fertile days. I have had moments of dizzy spells & periodic sickness Along with hot flashes. However as of yesterday i have no more hot flashes. I've had abnormal period 8/10 - 11/10 without but I was not sexually active then. With my older children the pregnancy wasn't detected unit I was 2 to 3 months along And only via blood test. All urine tests taken was negative.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to shandwilson's response:
Dear shandwilson,
Not sure why the urine tests failed you in the past; but if that was your experience, and you're still up in the air, why not get a blood test for pregnancy; any lab should be able to run one for you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website