Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How long will this last?
An_247785 posted:
My periods have been irregular for a year now. I am 51. At first I was excited about being perimenopausal and thought I would just buckle in and hold on for the ride... Yeah... not so much. Hot flashes, weight gain, Irritablity-- no make that ANGER for no reason. My kids now poke their head in the kitchen and ask-- "are you the good mom or the mad mom?" My laid back, devil may care attitude is gone. Now I am consumed with anxiety, thoughts of death and dying.Every new symptom is a sure death sentence. I dont even know ME any more!!
I have my doctor on speed dial! I sit and cry for no reason (as I'm typing this for example). It seems like everything that used to be a minor ache is exagerated ten fold. I get headaches. (never used to) I crave chocolate CONSTANTLY!! Lately my muscles feel weak and shakey like they aren't working. HOW LONG WILL THIS LAST??? I had two periods in july and two in August. The ones in August were both very heavy, (I bled through tampons) but only lasted two days. Two weeks later I had the exact same thing happen, Heavy, but only two days. Julys were both spotting for 3-5 days. I keep a "period" calendar so I can readily track this nightmare from hell. WILL I EVER BE NORMAL AGAIN????

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_247785,
Do see the response to SAMS. Are you in good health and not a smoker? From your symptoms, it sounds like you'd be a good candidate for a low dose birth control pill; it would level out your hormones; the problem in perimenopause, which can last for a while, is that although the hormonal levels are drifting downwards, they do go up and down; and the pill will level things out.
So do talk with your health care provider about that as a possibility.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website