Skip to content
Obsessive thoughts??? Normal??
Sams71 posted:
I am 51 and my periods have been irregular for the last year. I have hot flashes. I feel like I am in a fog most of the time. I can't think clearly.
The mood swings are horrible. I love everyone one minute, hate em all the next. . and I get so ANGRY!!! Over NOTHING!! I have always had a laid back attitude, but lately EVERYTHING bothers me. My kids now poke their heads in the kitchen and ask "are you the good mom or the mad mom?" and they have every reason to. But I think the worse thing is that I am suddenly obsessing about death.. Every little ache is "cancer". I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and a lot of chest pain.
Each time I have the chest pain, I just KNOW it's a heart attack. I have been thoroughly evaluated by my cardiologist who assures me (and reassures me) that my heart is healthy. I am terrified I am just going to drop dead. This all started about 2 months ago. I've started having panic attacks. I have talked to my doctor who is wonderful and assures me, I'm almost "there"...That there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I want to stop worrying about dying. Is this normal, or am I crazy?

sportsfan2 responded:
Hello,

I don't know exactly how you feel but I can sort of relate to you. I suffer from panic attacks, ocd, anxiety, and the ocd I have does relate to dying and always thinking that i'm going to die when i'm alone and no one will be able to help me. I think I mostly became this way because of two close friends and family members that passed away unexpectedly. I get chest pains every once and awhile too and think about it being a heart attack or related to stress but I just get up, get some water, and try to go outside and get some air and the pain usually goes away. If not I call someone until my mind is off of it and I forget about it. It's definitely not fun to live like this but i'm trying to avoid prescription meds so it's hard doing it on my own.

SraOfe responded:
ok ladies, I'm kind of new to this community. I am 43 started acting and feeling crazy like about 3 years ago but didn't realize it was due to perimenopause... but really felt it like some months back when I got vertigo / dizziness / heart palpitations and the worst thing shortness of breath. I did some research and was identified with the majority of the symptoms....... anyway I was told of an over the counter vitamin called Estroven Extra Strength. I've been taking it for about 4 or 5 months now and it really helps me. I'm very thankful for Estoven. They have different types of Estroven like for energy / memory & mood........ depending on what you need. It is safe and has no side effects. You can buy it at walmart/sams... basically any drug store. I recomment Sams because they have a pack of 60 pills for about $20....which will last for two months since you take it once a day.

ffmom3 replied to SraOfe's response:
I can relate to everyone' s issues, I'm in the middle of it myself. But I have to comment on SraOfe response. I'm glad you found relief from the product you purchased. But that doesn't work for everyone. I've tried every product on the market I could find and was not able to find relief. After 3 years of suffering and wasting a lot of money on over-the-counter cures, I when to a nurse practitioner who specializes in hormones and menopause. I did a blood test that looks at the different levels of hormones and come to find out - all those over-the-counter cures filled with Estrogen were cause more problems then help. IF your issue is low estrogen, then I can see those products working. But if not, like in my case, it can cause more problems. I am now on a progesterone pill that was developed in a compound pharmacy for my body. I would high suggest going to see someone FIRST before spending any money. I wished I had done this 3 years ago. I would have saved myself a ton of money and I won't have had to suffer so much.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website