Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sore Nipples
ChihuahuaMom612 posted:
I woke up a week ago with the same problem. I'm thinking it may have been triggered by some herbal teas I was taking, so have discontinued taking them. I have been post menopausal over 15 yrs., had a complete hysterectomy 3 yrs ago, and am over 60, and use progesterone cream - the nipples are erect part of the time, the nipples darker pink than usual, and super sensitive. Last night I tried the castor oil pack, not a lot of change this a.m., but am going to continue to try it as the oil is supposed to be healing and help the lymphatic system.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Chihuahuamom612,
Stopping the teas (and anything with caffeine) can be helpful; also my patients find my vitamin mix helpful: B6, 100-200 mg a day, Vit E, 200-400 units a day, and evening primrose oil capsules, 2 a day (and you can do all these together at one time). Many of my folks find these helpful for fibrocystic breast discomfort. If the problem lasts though for several weeks, do check it out with your health care provider-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ChihuahuaMom612 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you, I will try the vitamins, I am a huge vitamin-taker, but when issues arise, I'm afraid I may be over doing it, so cut way back on them. I would go see my provider, but it would take 3 months to get in to see her, I am going to a massage/chiropractor for other issues & hope it may clear something that may be blocked. I get up in the a.m. with sore breasts, but do the massage for the lymphatic system around them and the soreness goes away for the day, but the nipples are still some sensitive, but don't believe it is a bad as it was. Thank you again for your response.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website