Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause or ?
NormaJ58 posted:
Hi,

I have some questions......I am 54 years old. My last period was Oct 2011, and now out of the blue I started spotting 2 weeks ago. I have had issues in the past with thickening of the endometrial lining and once again it thick again between 11-14. I am scheduled for a hysteroscopy . When they did the vaginal ultrasound he thought he saw a polyp. I asked if he could see the ovaries and he said no. I asked why and he said they do shrink with age. So needless to say I am worried about all of this. But in the past my test all were negative. I pray this is the case again. I was excited to almost make it a year with no period and now this! Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated......Thanks

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear NormaJ58,
In view of your history of endometrial thickening, I think the hysteroscopy is a fine idea; alas, doing a hysteroscopy does not show the ovaries, but I am sure your doc examined you, and felt your ovaries (or felt to see if they were enlarged.) This type of bleeding would be unusual to be related to the ovaries; the correct thing to do is to check out the lining of your uterus. If there is any question about your ovaries, your health care provider can suggest an ultrasound, which will investigate your ovaries.
Hope the hysteroscopy goes fine,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website