Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Enlarged endometrial lining
riversedge65 posted:
I am 47 and have not had a period since 6/2010. The last spotting I had was in 12/2011. I had endometrial ablation surgery in 2004 for heavy, painful periods. I didn't have any periods for approximately six months after the surgery and then slowly they built back up again but they were never has heavy as they were pre-surgery.

I have been having moderate to severe lower back pain radiating to the pelvis for about one month. I went to a NP a week ago and she did a pelvic exam. She said that I was bleeding a little bit. She had me go for a transvaginal ultrasound. The results showed that the endometrial lining was 13mm. I have a follow up appointment with a gynecologist in two weeks.

Since I didn't talk to the nurse at the time, I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. Can the enlarged uterine lining be the cause of my pain? Why would the lining be enlarged after I had the ablation surgery? Could it be caused by that?

Two weeks seems like forever. Any help you can give would be great.

NAPsearch responded:
I am 47 as well. I was having cycles 3 weeks apart starting in December 2011. I had the transvaginal ultrasound with the 2 week wait and then the OB/GYN did this test to check to see if I had cancer which was another week. Test came back clear which I was thankful but I had a combination of sciatica and pre-menopause condition (weight shifting). Every time the cycle would come, I would get radiating pain in the lower abdomen (unlike my normal cramps) and then it would hit a pinched nerve and go down my leg. I was miserable for 6 months til the Orthopedic guy sent me off to the physical therapist. I still have pain but I have learned to stay away from certain foods (peppers,onions and white potatoes) and do the ab building exercises they gave me. The menopause symptoms hot flashes, don't care to concentrate, OCD stuff is nerve wrecking and now researching that more now and that is why I am on here... I hope this helps.

riversedge65 replied to NAPsearch's response:
Thanks so much for your reply. Menopause is certainly a roller coaster ride! Thankfully, the hot flashes and night sweats are much better for me. The back and pelvic pain are pretty much constant - with varying degrees of pain and discomfort. I'm not sure if the back pain is related to the uterine lining being enlarged or a separate issue. I guess I'll tackle one thing at a time. I hope things improve for you.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Riversedge65,
In general, a thickened lining of the uterus does not produce pain; however, in light of an ablation, it is possible, for example that there could be a scarred area in the lining into which you are bleeding; and the problem is that it is difficult to interpret ultrasounds often, with a history of a uterine ablation. It is possible that your doctor will recommend something like a sono hysterogram (injecting saline into the lining of the uterus to take a better look) or a hysteroscopy and D and C, to really take a look at the lining.
Hope the visit goes well,
Mary ane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website