Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
menopause and birth control
pinksuzy posted:
I am 52 years old I have been on birth control for over thirty years. I have been told to go off my birth control and my cycle will stop is this true I do I know I am ready for menopause and what do I do for protection do I even need to worry about protection My doctor says to use condoms for six months we really do not want to do that what do you think?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Pinksuzy,
Hard to know for sure if you're fully through menopause; the only way to find out is to go off your pills, and see. I would recommend using condoms for contraception for at least the first 4-6 weeks. At that point you could have an FSH and estradiol level drawn; if they are significantly into the menopausal range, it would be extremely unlikely for you to get pregnant; although your doctor is correct, that the true definition of menopause is a year without a period; but if the levels are there, it would be extremely unlikely for you to conceive. If your levels show that your ovaries are still working, well, then you could go right back on the pill.
Let us know what happens,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website