Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
menopause and birth control
pinksuzy posted:
I am 52 years old I have been on birth control for over thirty years. I have been told to go off my birth control and my cycle will stop is this true I do I know I am ready for menopause and what do I do for protection do I even need to worry about protection My doctor says to use condoms for six months we really do not want to do that what do you think?

MKissFL responded:
After 50 your risk of stroke and / or heart attack increases dramatically with birth control use. I went off it after age 50. I will tell you I now have some vaginal dryness, and need to use KY lubrication during intimacy. When you go off the birth control, you will likely allow your body to go through a natural menopause, and you do want to use other forms (my husband had a vasectomy years before) of birth control until you have gone the magic year without menstruation. I also know I am losing some of my "umph" and experiencing the first stages of aging in arthritis.

You will need to decide for yourself - is the intimacy with your husband and protection worth a stroke or heart attack? It's a pretty severe price to pay for the harmone benefits.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website